The Complex Nature of NewJeans’s Future Promotions as NJZ

Just days before NewJeans—under the name NJZ—was set to debut new music at Hong Kong’s ComplexCon, a Seoul Central District Court ruling barred the group from “carrying out independent musical or commercial activities” under their new name. The months-long clash between HYBE subsidiary ADOR and its sole group has brought into question what autonomy artists have over their brand and image.  

When NJZ decided to nullify their contracts with ADOR in November, the group and their management fought over the validity of their contract termination. ADOR filed an injunction and a lawsuit in response: the first against “independent advertising deals” and the second regarding the legitimacy of the group’s contract termination. The first hearing for the advertising injunction was set for last month and the first hearing for the contract validity lawsuit was set for April 3. With April 3 fast approaching, the results of Thursday’s initial hearing will add to the complexities of this unprecedented situation. 

The Injunction Halting Promotions

Before either court hearing happened, NJZ unilaterally rebranded earlier this year on February 7. The new name represented a creative shift in image. Hanni said they would debut a bold concept that deviates from their “girl next door image.” They planned to premiere a brand new, unreleased track during Hong Kong ComplexCon on March 23, 2025. This move prompted ADOR to expand their initial injunction to apply towards independent musical activities. 

NJZ and their parents accused ADOR of trying to ban the group from promoting altogether, but the company said the revised injunction was meant to establish a “framework” for mutual collaboration. At the injunction’s first hearing on March 7, ADOR said NJZ’s unilateral rebrand and “plans to sign with a different agency” breached their contract with the company. Though NJZ responded that HYBE and ADOR cannot adequately support them, the court found the statement invalid. Seoul Central District Court sided with ADOR’s request to halt the group’s independent promotions as NJZ on March 21. The group proceeded with their ComplexCon Hong Kong plans under ADOR’s supervision to “prevent unnecessary disruption or harm to those looking forward to the performance.”

NJZ’s ComplexCon Hong Kong Performance

Though ADOR requested the group to perform under the NewJeans name, ComplexCon Hong Kong demonstrated a clear NJZ influence. The venue had already been selling NJZ-branded merchandise, varying clothing, accessories, and stationery. Of the 35,000 visitors to the three-day event, 11,000 fans packed the AsiaWorld-Expo Arena on March 23 for NJZ’s historic re-debut. The group went on stage as NJZ, not NewJeans, and wore streetwear with a bold image Hanni had previously mentioned.

As reported by the New York Times, the performance carried an undeniable tension underneath the energy of the songs. The set was devoid of any NewJeans hits, consisting of only covers and the unreleased song “PIT STOP.” NJZ sang and rapped “PIT STOP” powerfully with lyrics of resistance. The tempo of the drum and bass instrumental matched the mood of the situation. Every development for NJZ has changed at such a rapid pace.  

A Surprising Hiatus

This debut performance under the NJZ name came to an end with a hiatus announcement. This difficult decision came from the necessary precaution to preserve the group’s mental health. Hanni called the break a way to protect themselves before they “can come back even stronger.” ADOR said the members announced the hiatus without approval. Though the members felt shocked by the court ruling, they have since filed an objection to the ruling. It is unknown when the court will respond to the objection.   

Eyes are focused on April 3, the start of hearings for a lawsuit determining the validity of the members’ contract termination in November. According to law officials, the length of lawsuits can vary between six months to multiple years. NJZ plans to “reaffirm the validity” of the contract termination, saying that the injunction’s circumstances differ from the lawsuit’s. “Unlike the injunction process, the main lawsuit allows us to freely utilize procedural tools under civil law to obtain additional evidence that supports our claims.” They said on March 21, as reported by the Korea Herald

Edited by Clark Royandoyan